Into the Doorway of Food, where it's all about Eating...



Let's start the journey into my world of food...

Different tastebuds with different tongues; you're the eater and you're the judge...
What I share here is simply the passion towards food and drinks.

Don't hesitate to ctiticize; if you like my articles, encourage me.


Sunday 24 February 2013

Homemade... the Duck & the Chicken

Once I've tasted Su's homemade recipe of Salted Vegetable Duck Soup咸菜鸭汤 and I've then felt in love with the dish. On a request to try the dish again and to take some pictures for my blog, we've decided to gather for a home-cooked dinner whereby Su and Phui Yee will be the Chefs. Su has prepared her Salted Vegetable Duck Soup a day earlier that I've not managed to capture more images yet here is the recipe for sharing. It's actually quite easy to prepare this dish that all you need to do is to get ready the raw ingredients that range from salted vegetable, duck, tomato, mushroom, dried chili to nutmeg seed. Then, they're all put into a big pot once they've been cleaned properly. This big pot of soup is boiled slowly for about.... Lastly, the lemon juice is squeezed into the soup to give the sourness and a little refreshing taste to the soup that is slightly spicy. This is a special recipe by Su that she has created during oversea study instead of using the Tamarind or "Asam Jawa". Elaine and I dislike the slight bitterness that may due to the nutmeg seed. I guess Su will exclude it for the next cooking session. By the way, this is the 1st time for me to learn that nutmeg seed is actually being used in cuisine. I've finished 4 bowls of the soup as I'm indeed loving the sourness and the spiciness. It's definitely appetising!
(Source from Wikipedia: Tamarind)

Phui Yee has decided to show her cooking skill on the spot by preparing the Potato Chicken. Firstly, the garlic, onion and ginger are chopped into tiny pieces. Secondly, they're mixed into the chicken meat and being seasoned with dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, oyster sauce, white pepper and sugar. Then, the ingredients are mixed properly and they're left aside for marination of about 5 minutes. Meantime, peel and cut the potato into slices. Now, get ready for the cooking! Pour the chicken meat into the wok with the cooking oil that has been heated. Then, fry it for some minutes before adding in the sliced potatoes. Finally, add the water and let the mixture of chicken and potato to boil slowly on the fire. Phui Yee lets the potato to simmer inside the sauce for about 15 to 20 minutes that it gets soft. I like the dish as it's delicious and I do enjoy the taste of the chopped ginger. I've not tasted the chicken because it's drumstick but I guess it should be as well quite delicious.

It has been an enjoyable night with eating, drinking and chatting. I've had a very full stomach and a great time to laugh together with the girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment